SurLaLune Fairy Tales is a good reminder that real fairytales are dark and dangerous, meant for adults. Not Disney’s weak, watered-down kid stuff.
SurLaLune Fairy Tales features 49 annotated fairy tales, including their histories, similar tales across cultures, modern interpretations and over 1,500 illustrations. Also discover over 1,600 folktales & fairy tales from around the world in more than 40 full-text Books.
- Read Ted Chiang’s Nebula Award-winnig novella Story of your llfe.
- Think about how you could turn it into a movie treatment. What would be the story in the movie?
- Write that story in a couple of paragraphs.
- Repeat #2 and #3 until you run out of ideas.
- Go see the movie when it comes out, and think about how it was like and different from your ideas.
Or, if you prefer, see the movie first, write your ideas of the story, then read the novella.
So how’d it turn out for you?